Re: 9.5 make world failing due to sgml tools missing - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: 9.5 make world failing due to sgml tools missing
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Keith Fiske <keith@omniti.com> writes:
> The current HEAD of postgres in the git repo is not building when using
> "make world". It's been like this for about a month or so that I've been
> aware of. I didn't really need the world build so been making due without
> it. At PGCon now, though, so asked Bruce and he said this error was due to
> my not having the sgml tools installed, which should not be a requirement.

Dunno about "about a month"; this seems to have come in with commit
5d93ce2d0c619ba1 from last October.  But yes, that commit moved the
goalposts in terms of what is required to build the documentation.
You now must have xmllint which is something supplied by libxml2.

I am not sure this is a good thing, especially since xmllint is only
doing checking, which is of little use to consumers of the documentation.
Maybe if xmllint is not found, we should just skip the checking steps
rather than hard failing?