Re: compatibilityissues from 7.1 to 7.4 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: compatibilityissues from 7.1 to 7.4
Date
List pgsql-general
Joel <rees@ddcom.co.jp> writes:
> Any thoughts on the urgency of the move?

How large is your pg_log file?  7.1 was the last release that had the
transaction ID wraparound limitation (after 4G transactions your
database fails...).  If pg_log is approaching a gig, you had better
do something PDQ.

More generally: essentially all of the data-loss bugs we've fixed lately
existed also in 7.1.  The core committee made a policy decision some
time ago that we wouldn't bother back-patching further than 7.2, however.
The only reason 7.2 is still getting some patching attention is that it
was the last pre-schema release, and so there might be some people out
there with non-schema-aware applications who couldn't conveniently move
up to 7.3 or later.  But once 8.0 is out we'll probably lose interest in
supporting 7.2 as well.

            regards, tom lane