Re: Proposal: new border setting in psql - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Proposal: new border setting in psql
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> My vote goes for 1.

> I wonder why you think it's impossible.  Is it because you must scan
> the whole table before being able to print any of it?  (For example to
> add extra alignment for the escaping backslashes in a way that doesn't
> render it invalid.)  Note that psql already does that in aligned mode,
> to determine the wide of the columns.

Hmm.  If RST is really that brain-damaged, the problem here is that it's
going to take a very large patch to make it work.  It's not going to be
a "border" option but a separate output mode like latex or html.  And
then we have to get into the discussion of whether there's really enough
demand for this to justify carrying such a large chunk of code.

In any case, my vote is for either 0 or 1; I'm unimpressed by anything
that emits RST-except-we-skipped-all-the-hard-parts.