Re: Errors upgrading from 7.3 to 8.1 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Markus Wollny
Subject Re: Errors upgrading from 7.3 to 8.1
Date
List pgsql-general

Hello!

We experienced the exact same problems. You may solve the problem by feeding the dump through iconv. See my earlier message on this issue

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2005-11/msg00799.php

On top of that you'd be well advised to try dumping using pg_dump of postgresql 8.1.

Kind regards

   Markus

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: pgsql-general-owner@postgresql.org im Auftrag von Benjamin Smith
Gesendet: Di 11/29/2005 01:22
An: Postgres General
Betreff: [GENERAL] Errors upgrading from 7.3 to 8.1

Currently running Postgres 7.3.9 32bit on Fedora Core 1, and upgrading to PG
8.1 64bit on Centos 4.

When I load the file,
psql -U dbname < dbname.sql

I get this error:
ERROR:  invalid UTF-8 byte sequence detected near byte 0x96
when inserting fields that seem to contain HTML. What could be causing this?
My understanding is that pg_dump should properly escape things so that I'm
not trying to dump/load things improperly.

The dumps are made (on the PG 7.3 server)
pg_dump -d -f $OUTPUT.pgsql $db

Are being restore with (on the new 8.1 server)
psql -U $db -e < $OUTPUT.pgsql

-Ben
- XEROX PARC slogan, circa 1978