Re: Postgres won't start. Nothing in the log. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Markus Wollny
Subject Re: Postgres won't start. Nothing in the log.
Date
Re: Postgres won't start. Nothing in the log.
List pgsql-general
Hi!

pgsql-general-owner@postgresql.org wrote:
> Unfortunately there is nothing anywhere telling me what the
> problem is. The log file is empty, there is nothing in the
> /var/log/messages or /var/log/syslog either. The only output
> I get is this.
>
> * Starting PostgreSQL 8.3 database server
>  * The PostgreSQL server failed to start. Please check the log output.
> What can I do to figure out why it won't start?

Did you check if the directory PostgreSQL wants to write the logfile to
has appropriate rights to allow the user PostgreSQL runs under to write
to it? Another fairly common issue would be a postgresql.conf that is
not readable by the PostgreSQL-user. In case of such an outright failure
to start, it's usually something fairly simple to fix such as file or
directory permissions.

Kind regards

   Markus

Computec Media AG
Sitz der Gesellschaft und Registergericht: Furth (HRB 8818)
Vorstandsmitglieder: Albrecht Hengstenberg (Vorsitzender) und Rainer Rosenbusch
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrates: Jurg Marquard
Umsatzsteuer-Identifikationsnummer: DE 812 575 276