Re: O_DIRECT for relations and SLRUs (Prototype) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrey Borodin
Subject Re: O_DIRECT for relations and SLRUs (Prototype)
Date
List pgsql-hackers

> 13 янв. 2019 г., в 14:02, Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz> написал(а):
>
>> 3.  We probably want SLRUs to use the main buffer pool, instead of
>> their own mini-pools, so they can benefit from the above.
>
> Wasn't there a thread about that on -hackers actually?  I cannot see
> any reference to it.
I think it's here
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/CAEepm%3D0o-%3Dd8QPO%3DYGFiBSqq2p6KOvPVKG3bggZi5Pv4nQw8nw%40mail.gmail.com#bacee3e6612c53c31658b18650e7ffd9

> As long as the option can be controlled and
> defaults to false, it seems to be that we could do something.  Even if
> the performance is bad, this gives the user control of how he/she
> wants things to be done.

I like the idea of having this switch, I believe it will make development in this direction easier.
But I think there will be complain from users like "this feature is done wrong" due to really bad performance.

Best regards, Andrey Borodin.