Re: [HACKERS] Patch Submission Guidelines - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Patch Submission Guidelines
Date
List pgsql-patches
Robert Treat <xzilla@users.sourceforge.net> writes:
> On Thursday 16 February 2006 00:27, Tom Lane wrote:
>> * avoid unnecessary whitespace changes.  They just distract the
>> reviewer, and your formatting changes will probably not survive
>> the next pgindent run anyway.

> would diff -c --ignore-space-change be better?

Hmm.  Not sure --- there are situations where whitespace *does* matter,
so having that as a blanket policy doesn't seem wise.  Also I'm worried
that a diff made this way would confuse patch (for instance, because
line numbers following an omitted whitespace change wouldn't match up).
Probably best not to go there, but just focus on the point about keeping
the patch readable.

            regards, tom lane