Re: max_connections and standby server - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: max_connections and standby server
Date
Re: max_connections and standby server  (Michael Paquier <michael.paquier@gmail.com>)
Re: max_connections and standby server  (Simon Riggs <simon@2ndQuadrant.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Tatsuo Ishii <ishii@postgresql.org> writes:
> I think this is because pg_control on the standby remembers that the
> previous primary server's max_connections = 1100 even if the standby
> server fails to start. Shouldn't we update pg_control file only when
> standby succeeds to start?

Somebody refresh my memory as to why we have this restriction (that is,
slave's max_connections >= master's max_connections) in the first place?
Seems like it should not be a necessary requirement, and working towards
getting rid of it would be far better than any other answer.