Re: WAL questions - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: WAL questions
Date
List pgsql-general
"Robert B. Easter" <reaster@comptechnews.com> writes:
> What is there for a user or admin or programmer to know about the new WAL
> stuff?

Vadim is the man who ought to answer this (and he's on the hook to write
a lot of documentation before 7.1 ships ;-)).  But my understanding is
that as of 7.1, WAL will not really provide any user-level features like
audit trails or point-in-time recovery.  The only useful thing it does
right now is reduce the cost of fsyncs.  It provides an infrastructure
on which we can build audit trails etc in future releases --- but the
superstructure atop this infrastructure ain't there yet.

Over to you, Vadim ...

            regards, tom lane