Re: Cannot get postgres started on Fedora core 3 - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Cannot get postgres started on Fedora core 3
Date
List pgsql-admin
"Mark Travis" <marktrav@bellsouth.net> writes:
> If I manually enter the command on the command line
> postgres -c /usr/bin/postmaster -p 5432 -D /var/lib/pgsql
> I get nothing.... not even a warning that I shouldn't start postgres as
> root.
> If I just type "postgres" on the command line.... nothing. No warnings, no
> nothing.....

I'll bet you have SELinux enforcement on.  One of the less fun
properties of that thing (at least in Red Hat's current "targeted"
policy) is that it forbids daemons from writing on /dev/tty.  And
the postgres executable is classified as a daemon even when you
invoke it from the command line.  Net result: no error messages.

Does it work any better after "sudo /usr/sbin/setenforce 0" ?

            regards, tom lane