Re: BUG #4883: tar xf fails on NFS4 mounts - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: BUG #4883: tar xf fails on NFS4 mounts
Date
List pgsql-bugs
> I meant rather, hence the other thread, where we had to revert this.

I think that thread was on -packagers rather than any public list.
For the record: Dave Page reported that the initial wrap of 8.4.0
failed to build on OS X 10.4.  Investigation disclosed that its
version of tar was misinterpreting the "o" switch, and that this
wasn't Apple's fault but rather a bug common to all GNU tar 1.14.x
versions (up to x=91 IIRC).  Given the lack of prior complaints
and the likelihood that 1.14.x is still in use elsewhere,
we decided to revert to the old coding for 8.4.

            regards, tom lane