Re: Can Postgres 8.x start if some disks containing tablespaces are not mounted? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Can Postgres 8.x start if some disks containing tablespaces are not mounted?
Date
List pgsql-general
"Morris Goldstein" <morris.x.goldstein@gmail.com> writes:
> Without going into a lot of details about our application, I'll just
> say that the ability to start Postgres with just the "startup schema"
> present is incredibly useful. On a SAN, we put this startup schema
> on a volume that is permanently bound to a node, and the other schema
> on a volume that can fail over to another node. Tablespaces allow us
> to start Postgres and then fail back the volume containing the second
> schema.

[ retrieves eyebrows from ceiling... ]  Have you actually tested this?
It sounds to me like you are thinking you can reattach the tablespace
to a different database instance, which is guaranteed not to work.
You've got to fail over the entire instance as a whole.

            regards, tom lane