Re: 'out of tree' compile (was: Two weeks to feature freeze) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: 'out of tree' compile (was: Two weeks to feature freeze)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Manfred Koizar <mkoi-pg@aon.at> writes:
> I do this all the time.  Works pretty well.  The only minor annoyance
> is that some files are created in the source tree:

Yeah, that's deliberate: those files are shipped in distribution
tarballs (so that tarball users don't have to have bison/flex/perl
to build from a source tarball).  So they need to be made in the
source tree.  Since they are platform-independent this isn't any
big problem for the normal uses of out-of-tree building.  You could
get rid of them I believe by doing a "make maintainer-clean", but
for testing purposes I suspect that's just a waste of cycles.  When
the underlying files haven't changed, there's no reason to regenerate
these files.