Re: OpenSSL Applink - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: OpenSSL Applink
Date
List pgsql-patches
Heikki Linnakangas <heikki@enterprisedb.com> writes:
> I guess you guys already found a solution that works, but there's yet
> another function, "BIO *BIO_new_mem_buf(void *data, int len)", that we
> could use. We could open and read the file all by ourselves into memory,
> then call BIO_new_mem_buf and pass that to PEM_read_X509. No need to
> pass around file pointers, and we could handle any file I/O errors
> ourselves. Presumably certificates are never very big, so reading it all
> in memory shouldn't be a problem.

> BIO_new_mem_buf was introduced in OpenSSL 0.9.7. What versions do we
> support?

This seems like a good idea.  To judge from the release history at
http://www.openssl.org/news/
the OpenSSL boys stopped supporting 0.9.6 in 2004, so I figure we
don't have to support it either.  But 0.9.7 is still a live release
branch, so it'd be good if we could play nice with it.

http://www.openssl.org/docs/crypto/BIO_s_mem.html

            regards, tom lane