Re: pgsql-server/ oc/src/sgml/ref/psql-ref.sgml rc ... - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: pgsql-server/ oc/src/sgml/ref/psql-ref.sgml rc ...
Date
List pgsql-committers
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Wasn't that patch rejected in favor of doing it another way?  I thought
>> we were going to make the use-the-pager decision depend on width as well
>> as height, so that it would work automatically instead of needing an
>> "always" kluge.

> His reply was that there is no way to know what pager they chose and how
> it handles wide output (wrap or horizontal scroll), so he felt we still
> need the option.

That argument seems to miss the point: if your pager doesn't handle
horizontal scroll, so what?  I don't see how you lose anything if the
system invokes the pager on wide-but-short displays.  It can't be worse
than not invoking the pager, can it?

            regards, tom lane