Re: Anyone seen this kind of lock pileup? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Anyone seen this kind of lock pileup?
Date
List pgsql-performance
Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> writes:
> Ok, I've collected more data.   Looks like the case I was examining was
> idiosyncratic; most of these lock pile-ups involve 400 or more locks
> waiting held by around 20 different backends.  Given this, taking 3
> seconds to sort that all out doesn't seem that unreasonable.
> Presumably there's a poll cycle of some sort for waiting statements?

No ... but if the lock requests were mutually exclusive, I could believe
it taking 3 seconds for all of the waiting backends to get their turn
with the lock, do whatever they were gonna do, commit, and release the
lock to the next guy.

> Anyway, the obvious answer is for the user to fix their application.

Probably.

            regards, tom lane