Re: Version Numbering - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Version Numbering
Date
Re: Version Numbering  ("David E. Wheeler" <david@kineticode.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
"David E. Wheeler" <david@kineticode.com> writes:
> On Aug 20, 2010, at 12:15 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Well, I for one will fiercely resist adopting any such standard, because
>> it's directly opposite to the way that RPM will sort such version numbers.

> Which is how?

9.0.0 is less than 9.0.0anything.  Unless you wire some specific
knowledge of semantics of particular letter-strings into the comparison
algorithm, it's difficult to come to another decision, IMO.

BTW, 9.0.0 is also less than 9.0.0.anything ... so sticking another dot
in there wouldn't help.