Re: small regression script improvement - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: small regression script improvement
Date
List pgsql-patches
> This suggested patch makes sure that the regression script can actually
> connect to the database rather than falling through after 60 seconds, as
> discussed on -hackers.

Oh, I see what you mean.  But surely that's the hard way.  The script
should just fail where it currently "break"s out of the loop.  It's
not any longer and it permits a more specific error message.

            regards, tom lane

*** src/test/regress/pg_regress.sh.orig    Wed Jan  4 22:01:38 2006
--- src/test/regress/new/pg_regress.sh    Sun Jun 18 18:42:24 2006
***************
*** 446,472 ****
          i=`expr $i + 1`
          if [ $i -ge $max ]
          then
!             break
          fi
          if kill -0 $postmaster_pid >/dev/null 2>&1
          then
              : still starting up
          else
!             break
          fi
          sleep 1
      done

!     if kill -0 $postmaster_pid >/dev/null 2>&1
!     then
!         echo "running on port $PGPORT with pid $postmaster_pid"
!     else
!         echo
!         echo "$me: postmaster did not start"
!         echo "Examine $LOGDIR/postmaster.log for the reason."
!         echo
!         (exit 2); exit
!     fi

  else # not temp-install

--- 446,473 ----
          i=`expr $i + 1`
          if [ $i -ge $max ]
          then
!             : timeout
!             echo
!             echo "$me: postmaster is not accepting connections"
!             echo "Examine $LOGDIR/postmaster.log for the reason."
!             echo
!             (exit 2); exit
          fi
          if kill -0 $postmaster_pid >/dev/null 2>&1
          then
              : still starting up
          else
!             : postmaster failed
!             echo
!             echo "$me: postmaster failed"