Re: Patch for - Allow server logs to be remotely read - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Patch for - Allow server logs to be remotely read
Date
List pgsql-patches
> Is that wrong?  Yes.  Looking at the C file, I see what you mean.  Let
> me update the README.adminpack file.  read_file is already in the
> backend code, and was in 8.1.X too.

I wonder if we should take pg_read_file (and the rest of genfile.c)
back out of the backend and stick them into contrib/adminpack.  The
argument for having them in the backend was always pretty weak to me.
In particular, a DBA who doesn't want them in his system for security
reasons has no simple way to get rid of them if they're in core, but
not installing a contrib module is easy enough.

            regards, tom lane