Re: variadic function support - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: variadic function support
Date
List pgsql-patches
Jeff Davis <pgsql@j-davis.com> writes:
> I don't have a strong opinion, but allowing zero-argument variadic
> function calls -- and therefore causing foo(variadic int[]) and
> foo(variadic text[]) to conflict -- makes more sense than requiring one
> argument.

I hadn't even thought about that point, but the idea that those two
would conflict bothers me quite a lot.  Not least because there's no
reasonable way to enforce it with the existing unique indexes on pg_proc.
I think you'd have to leave the variadic argument out of proargtypes
altogether, and that seems mad.

            regards, tom lane