Re: 9.5 new setting "cluster name" and logging - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: 9.5 new setting "cluster name" and logging
Date
List pgsql-admin
> On Fri, Jan 29, 2016 at 10:19:45PM -0800, Evan Rempel wrote:
>> Now that there is a setting to give a cluster a "name", it would be
>> nice to have an escape sequence in the log_line_prefix setting that
>> could reference the cluster_name.

> Uh, wouldn't the cluster name be the same on every line?  Is that
> useful?

I guess if you were running multiple clusters and having them all log
to the same syslog daemon, there might be multiple clusters' output
in the same log ... but we already have ways to disambiguate that case,
ie, syslog_ident.  Likewise for Windows' event log.  I don't think we
should consider it supported for multiple clusters to be logging into
the same plain files.  So yeah, the use case for this seems unclear.

            regards, tom lane