Re: [PERFORM] Arguments Pro/Contra Software Raid - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [PERFORM] Arguments Pro/Contra Software Raid
Date
List pgsql-general
Scott Ribe <scott_ribe@killerbytes.com> writes:
>> My damn powerbook drive recently failed with very little warning

> It seems to me that S.M.A.R.T. reporting is a crock of shit. I've had ATA
> drives report everything OK while clearly in the final throes of death, just
> minutes before total failure.

FWIW, I replaced a powerbook's drive about two weeks ago myself, and its
SMART reporting didn't show a darn thing wrong either.  Fortunately, the
drive started acting noticeably weird (long pauses seemingly trying to
recalibrate itself) while still working well enough that I was able to
get everything copied off it.  I didn't wait for it to fail completely ;-)

            regards, tom lane