Re: FWD: Re: Updated backslash consistency patch - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: FWD: Re: Updated backslash consistency patch
Date
Re: FWD: Re: Updated backslash consistency patch  (Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> writes:
>> But I may be trying to push water up a hill, so, I can live with
>> adding \dfU and keeping \df as-was.

> BTW, why the capital?  \dfu is *considerably* easier to type than \dfU.

Because (1) its counterpart S is capitalized by historical tradition,
and (2) we are going to apply this to all the variants of \d so we'd
have a conflict with \du.  (Even if we special-cased our way out of the
actual conflict, there would certainly be user confusion there.)

Also (3) you are not actually going to use this as much as you think
you are, so saving a shift keypress is not the be-all and end-all.