Re: FW: [CYGWIN] 7.2b3 postmaster doesn't start on Win98 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: FW: [CYGWIN] 7.2b3 postmaster doesn't start on Win98
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"Serguei Mokhov" <sa_mokho@alcor.concordia.ca> writes:
> Why so much fuss about an officially unsupported platform
> at this point in time? Interested individuals can work on a more or less
> workable W98 "port" for 7.3 right after the 7.2 release, no?

My point exactly --- let's work on this for 7.3, not 7.2.  However,
it'd be nice if 7.2 didn't fail entirely on Win98.  Thus the thought
that a simple #ifdef is the right solution for this release.

We did not have any permissions checks in releases before 7.2, so
this approach doesn't mean any regression for newer Windows versions.
It'd be better to have the check in the newer Windows versions, but
I'm satisfied to let that happen in 7.3.