Re: [HACKERS] [Proposal] Make the optimiser aware of partitions ordering - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Ronan Dunklau
Subject Re: [HACKERS] [Proposal] Make the optimiser aware of partitions ordering
Date
Re: [HACKERS] [Proposal] Make the optimiser aware of partitionsordering  (Peter Eisentraut <peter.eisentraut@2ndquadrant.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On lundi 20 mars 2017 15:52:03 CET Robert Haas wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 20, 2017 at 6:31 AM, Ronan Dunklau <ronan.dunklau@dalibo.com>
wrote:
> > With range partitioning, we guarantee that each partition contains non-
> > overlapping values. Since we know the range allowed for each partition, it
> > is possible to sort them according to the partition key (as is done
> > already for looking up partitions).
> >
> > Thus, we ca generate sorted Append plans instead of MergeAppend when
> > sorting occurs on the partition key.
>
> Great idea.  This is too late for v10 at this point, but please add it
> to the next CommitFest so we don't forget about it.

I know it is too late, and thought that it was too early to add it to the
commitfest properly since so many design decisions should be discussed. Thanks
for the feedback, I added it.

--
Ronan Dunklau
http://dalibo.com - http://dalibo.org