Re: Overhauling GUCS - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Overhauling GUCS
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Greg Smith <gsmith@gregsmith.com> writes:
> Josh Berkus and I have been exchanging some ideas for the GUC internals
> overhaul and had a quick discussion about that in person last month.
> We've been gravitating toward putting all the extra information we'd like
> to push into there in an extra catalog table (pg_settings_info or
> something).  The stuff the server needs to start can stay right where it
> is right now, all the other decoration can move to the table.

Somehow, the attraction of that idea escapes me.

What we have now was named Grand Unified Configuration for a reason:
it centralized the handling of what had been a mess of different things
configured in different ways.  I'm not eager to go backwards on that.

I'm also interested to know exactly what such a table would provide
that isn't already available in the form of the pg_settings view.