Re: [patch] A \pivot command for psql - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Daniel Verite
Subject Re: [patch] A \pivot command for psql
Date
List pgsql-hackers
    Tom Lane wrote:

> I'm not sure how pushing it out to psql makes that better.  There is
> no way to do further processing on something that psql has printed,
> so you've punted on solving that issue just as much if not more.

It's the same spirit as \x : the only thing it achieves is better
readability in certain cases, I don't expect more from it.
But I admit that \pivot would be much more of a "niche use case"
than \x

> Besides which, psql is not all that great for looking at very wide tables,
> so I'm not sure that this would be very useful for dynamic column sets
> anyway.

I use \x all the time with wide tables and \x and \pivot happen to play
out well together (In fact I was pleasantly surprised by this)

Best regards,
--
Daniel Vérité
Twitter: @DanielVerite