Re: BUG #18196: Databases Created in Turkish Language Will Not Run on the Latest Version of Windows - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: BUG #18196: Databases Created in Turkish Language Will Not Run on the Latest Version of Windows
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Laurenz Albe <laurenz.albe@cybertec.at> writes:
> On Wed, 2023-11-15 at 09:04 +0000, PG Bug reporting form wrote:
>> [ Microsoft decided to rename their Turkish locales ]

> This seems to be a really nasty problem that Microsoft has created for us.
> Even if the server started, you could not connect to the database if the
> collation persisted in pg_database is no longer accepted by the operating
> system.

Yeah, that's a mess.  The postgresql.conf entries could be fixed by hand,
but if you've got "Turkish_Turkey.1254" in pg_database.datcollate or
datctype then there's no easy way around that.

I think really the right fix is a whole bunch of WTFs directed at
Microsoft.  I can understand wanting to support the Turkish_Türkiye
spelling, but not having a backward-compatibility entry for the old
spelling is a colossal blunder -- especially in a minor OS release.
Aren't these the same people who prize backward compatibility at
any cost?

            regards, tom lane