Re: Some 8.4 changes needed according to pg_migrator testing - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Some 8.4 changes needed according to pg_migrator testing
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Bernd Helmle <mailings@oopsware.de> writes:
> --On 7. Mai 2009 15:32:01 -0400 Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> I think the part that goes "en_US" or whatever is actually
>> quite well standardized (except for good ol' Windows, but we could
>> provide a mapping from the Unix-style names to Windows names).

> I like this idea, but i could imagine that this is pretty hard to maintain,
> once someone decides to change things suddenly?

Well, we'd probably want to make sure there was an escape-hatch whereby
you could specify an exact platform-dependent locale name, in case
whatever we were doing didn't work on a particular platform.  I just don't
want that to be the norm.

Possibly it would work to first try the locale name as given by the
user, and if that doesn't work (either isn't recognized, or doesn't seem
to use the right encoding) then try to map/modify it.