Re: Checkpoints are occurring too frequently... - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Checkpoints are occurring too frequently...
Date
List pgsql-general
>> The "factory default" has never been 1; AFAIR it's always been 3,
>> and like many of the other defaults that's aimed for small-and-slow
>> machines.  If you're not short of disk space, something like 30
>> is reasonable.  (Note this can cost you 32MB per increment, so a
>> setting of 30 means you're willing to invest up to a gigabyte of
>> disk space in WAL.  Time was when that was an astonishing amount
>> of disk, but no more...)

> As this is a fairly common problem, should we consider increasing the
> default to 10?

Well, 3 is a 100Mb commitment, 10 would be about 300Mb, which is a lot
for some people.  I'm more inclined to leave it where it is and remind
people to read the tuning documents.

It's been suggested in the past that we ought to document multiple sets
of parameter choices from "small test platform" to "big fast machine";
MySQL have done something of the sort for a long time.

            regards, tom lane