Re: More time zones - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: More time zones
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> One concern I have about the time zone abbreviation database is that the
> inflation of possible choices makes any kind of error checking mostly
> non-existant.

That's overstated, but it's a good point nonetheless.  We had a report
of one missing timezone entry (or was it two?).  Not sure that that
should prompt us to add a hundred entries of dubious validity to the
keyword list.

Perhaps we could find some middle ground between a hard-wired list and
looking up TZ entries in a fully dynamic system table.  The list of
known timezones seems like something we could read from a flat text
configuration file at startup --- wouldn't that be enough
configurability?