Re: String Concatenation - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: String Concatenation
Date
List pgsql-novice
"Luiz K. Matsumura" <luiz@planit.com.br> writes:
> My reasoning is wrong or this is a bug ?

This is a debatable issue.  See the thread starting here:
    http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-bugs/2004-07/msg00156.php
for some recent debate.  (What is not brought out in that particular
thread is that our pre-7.4 behavior was also surprising, just in
different places.  Trawling the archives for awhile may convince you
that 7.4 is better, or not.)

The bottom line in my mind is that the SQL spec's treatment of padding
space characters is very inconsistent, and so you're best off to use a
datatype that doesn't consider trailing spaces as special --- ie, use
varchar or text, and avoid char(n) like the plague.

            regards, tom lane