Re: Small doc patch about pg_service.conf - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Small doc patch about pg_service.conf
Date
Re: Small doc patch about pg_service.conf
List pgsql-hackers
David Fetter <david@fetter.org> writes:
> On Sat, Jan 03, 2015 at 02:36:50PM -0500, Noah Misch wrote:
>> The old and the new documentation are both wrong.  The directory libpq
>> consults is `pg_config --sysconfdir`, which is packager-selected but rarely
>> matches /etc itself.  parseServiceInfo() has the code in question.

> On my Fedora system, $(pg_config --sysconfdir) is /etc.  What should
> we put in the documentation?

On an install-from-source, it's $installroot/etc.  So the new
documentation is very definitely more wrong than the old, which
at least was vague about which etc directory it meant.

We could do worse than to say it's in the directory printed by
"pg_config --sysconfdir".