Re: custom variables and PGC_SUSET issue - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: custom variables and PGC_SUSET issue
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 1:55 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> You can't set a custom SUSET variable in advance of loading the module,
>> because the system has no way to know it should enforce superuser
>> restrictions on setting it. For the most part, this is a good reason to
>> avoid custom SUSET variables.

> Apparently we haven't taken that advice ourselves?

The ones in auto_explain and pg_stat_statements aren't too problematic
because those modules are designed to be preloaded by the postmaster.
We've avoided adding such variables in modules that aren't intended
to be used that way.