Re: Added columns to pg_stat_activity - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Added columns to pg_stat_activity
Date
List pgsql-patches
Neil Conway <neilc@samurai.com> writes:
> - Is the backend startup time sensitive information? Considering this
> information is available via ps(1), perhaps it would be better to allow
> any user to see any backend's startup time, rather than providing a
> false sense of security.

Remote database users don't have access to ps(1).  I think that hiding
the startup time is reasonable.

> - We return (NULL, -1) for the client address/port if connected via a
> unix domain socket, and (NULL, NULL) for the address/port if the
> selecting user isn't a superuser / the owner of that client connection.
> It seems a little ugly to return NULL for the address in both cases,
> since the same value is used for two completely different meanings. Not
> sure of a better convention, though -- just idly complaining :)

Perhaps 0.0.0.0/0 or some such for the address in the unix domain case?
Not sure that this is an improvement over NULL though.

Other comments seem on-target to me.

            regards, tom lane