Re: Patch to include PAM support... - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Patch to include PAM support...
Date
Re: Patch to include PAM support...  (Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us>)
Re: Patch to include PAM support...  ("Dominic J. Eidson" <sauron@the-infinite.org>)
List pgsql-patches
>> Basically, we have some people who want it.  Now we need to hear from
>> people who don't want it.   I have a "no" from Tom and a "yes" from
>> "Peter E" (and the author).

> Not in the current form.

I think Peter's main objection was that it'd always prompt for a
password whether needed or not.

Could we change the PAM code so that it tries to run the PAM auth cycle
immediately on receipt of a connection request?  If it gets a callback
for a password, it abandons the PAM conversation, sends off a password
request packet, and then tries again when the password comes back.

Of course, this would be hugely simpler if the work were being done in
a dedicated forked child of the postmaster ;-) ;-) ... just send the
request packet when PAM asks for a password, and sleep till it comes
back.

            regards, tom lane