Re: BUG #18146: Rows reappearing in Tables after Auto-Vacuum Failure in PostgreSQL on Windows - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: BUG #18146: Rows reappearing in Tables after Auto-Vacuum Failure in PostgreSQL on Windows
Date
List pgsql-bugs
> On Thu, Oct 5, 2023 at 3:26 AM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> I'm too lazy to check the commit log right now, but I think
>> we did implement a fix for that (ie, flush dirty pages even
>> if we anticipate them going away due to truncation).

> This thread seems to be saying otherwise:
> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/2348.1544474335%40sss.pgh.pa.us

Hmph.  OK, I was remembering the discussion not the (lack of)
end result.

> But as for what we should do about it, PANIC (as suggested by several
> people) seems better than corruption, if we're not going to write some
> kind of resilience?

Maybe that's an acceptable answer now ... it's not great, but nobody
is in love with any of the other options either.  And it would definitely
get DBAs' attention about this misbehavior of their file systems.

            regards, tom lane