Re: [Proposal] Table-level Transparent Data Encryption (TDE) and Key Management Service (KMS) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Antonin Houska
Subject Re: [Proposal] Table-level Transparent Data Encryption (TDE) and Key Management Service (KMS)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Joe Conway <mail@joeconway.com> wrote:

> Please see my other reply (and
> https://nvlpubs.nist.gov/nistpubs/Legacy/SP/nistspecialpublication800-38a.pdf
> appendix C as pointed out by Ryan downthread).

Thanks.

> At least in my mind, I trust a published specification from the
> nation-state level over random blogs or wikipedia. If we can find some
> equivalent published standards that contradict NIST we should discuss
> it, but for my money I would prefer to stick with the NIST recommended
> method to produce the IVs.

I don't think this as a problem of trusting A over B. Those blogs try to
explain the attacks in detail, while the NIST standard is just a set of
recommendations that does not (try to) provide technical details of comparable
depth.

Although I prefer understanding things in detail, I think it's o.k. to say in
documentation that "we use ... cipher because it complies to ... standard".

--
Antonin Houska