Re: Opteron scaling with PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Opteron scaling with PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-general
Greg Stark <gsstark@mit.edu> writes:
> Steve Wolfe <nw@codon.com> writes:
>> I've run with fsync off on my production servers for years.

> All it will take will be a Linux crash for the database files on disk to
> become corrupted. No amount of UPS or RAID protection will protect from that.

And neither will fsync'ing, so I'm not sure what your point is.  Steve
clearly understands the need for backups, so I think he's prepared as
well as he can for worst-case scenarios.  He's determined that the
particular scenarios fsync can protect him against are not big enough
risks *in his environment* to justify the cost.  I can't say that I see
any flaws in his reasoning.

            regards, tom lane