Re: postgres on a FreeBSD 4.5 box - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: postgres on a FreeBSD 4.5 box
Date
List pgsql-general
Ken Guest <kguest@stockbyte.com> writes:
> I've installed postgres 7.1.3 on a FreeBSD 4.5 box using the ports
> system, I just can't seem to get it working.

> su-2.05a# /usr/local/etc/rc.d/010.pgsql.sh status
> pg_ctl: postmaster or postgres is not running
> su-2.05a# /usr/local/etc/rc.d/010.pgsql.sh start
> pg_ctl: postmaster does not start

Impossible to tell anything from this, since your script is hiding
whatever error message the postmaster might be emitting.  Arrange
for the postmaster's stderr to go someplace useful (maybe into a
log file) and then see what it has to say.

            regards, tom lane