Re: Makefiles don't seem to remember to rebuild everything anymore - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Makefiles don't seem to remember to rebuild everything anymore
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Cédric Villemain <cedric@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
> Le lundi 17 d�cembre 2012 16:45:16, Tom Lane a �crit :
>> Having seen this, I now think .SECONDARY is broken across the board.

> make does what it is supposed to do here IIUC.

Well, it's behaving as documented, but what this means is we need to be
very wary of what contexts we can use .SECONDARY in.  I'd just as soon
try to avoid using it at all --- my example with hand-edited gram.c
points out that even rather short dependency chains can have unexpected
misbehaviors if the intermediate files are marked .SECONDARY.

> What was the consensus when Peter did the change ?

It was an experiment, nothing more; or at least that's how I saw it.