Re: Show encoding in initdb messages - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Show encoding in initdb messages
Date
List pgsql-patches
"Magnus Hagander" <mha@sollentuna.net> writes:
>>> The reason it will help with support is because newbies will go
>>> "SQL_ASCII! I don't want ascii!".
>>
>> No they won't.  They will likely not even notice this message
>> in the sea of other messages they've never seen before; and
>> even if they do notice it, they will certainly not realize
>> that they don't want it.

> Another way would be to make -E a mandatory parameter, and remove the
> default completely. That way you have to make a conscious decision.
> Can't claim surprise then.

I don't think surprise is the problem; I think the problem is knowing
what setting will produce the result you want.  Newbies are
fundamentally unlikely to have this knowledge :-(

What I personally wish we could do is eliminate database encoding as
a separate setting altogether, and drive it off the locale selection.
I don't know how to do that though.

            regards, tom lane