Re: restart postgres 7.3.2 problem - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: restart postgres 7.3.2 problem
Date
List pgsql-novice
Saranya Sivakumar <sarlavk@yahoo.com> writes:
> We got the following message:

> An old version of the database format was found.\nYou need to upgrade the data format before using PostgreSQL.\nSee
(YourSystem's documentation directory)/postgresql-7.3.2/README.rpm-dist for more information.

> Does this mean that we have to upgrade Postgres to a newer version?

This means that /var/lib/pgsql/data/PG_VERSION did not contain what the
init script expected to find (namely "7.3").  You need to figure out why
that happened --- and I'm afraid none of the likely explanations are
pleasant.  The two that come to mind are (a) you've suffered disk
corruption or (b) somebody mistakenly overwrote the existing database
by initdb'ing with a different PG major version.  Hope you've got a
recent backup...

            regards, tom lane