Re: ON COMMIT and foreign keys - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: ON COMMIT and foreign keys
Date
List pgsql-patches
> Incidentally ("collateral damage"), the patch modifies the TRUNCATE
> command so that it can work on multiple tables.  In particular, if
> foreign key references are all internal to the group that's being
> truncated, the command is allowed.

I think this is a feature addition that you've cleverly managed to
present as a bug fix ;-).  While I like the feature, I've got very
mixed emotions about applying it this late in beta.  The "bug" exists
in 7.4 but has yet to be reported in the field, which says to me that
we could leave it unfixed in 8.0 as well.  Conservatism would suggest
holding the change for 8.1.  OTOH, multiple TRUNCATE would be a useful
feature --- it came up just the other day.

Comments anyone?

            regards, tom lane