Re: date with month and year - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jan de Visser
Subject Re: date with month and year
Date
List pgsql-general

On May 21, 2015 11:56:52 AM Steve Crawford wrote:

> The article does also display a couple attitudes that I feel are especially

> rampant in the web-development community. The first is that web developers

> shouldn't become educated about the capabilities of a database but rather

> use the database as a dumb data-store and redo everything themselves (often

> this includes an utter failure to use the data-integrity capabilities of

> the database).

Having been at the receiving end of web developer rants many times, the reason more often than not is that the database does the checking after the fact, i.e. after the user spend the time providing the data. Web developers need to know what's allowed when they throw up the page. And frameworks offer little or no help in retrieving these validation rules. So the web developer is almost forced to roll his own.