Re: AW: [HACKERS] My new job - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: AW: [HACKERS] My new job
Date
List pgsql-general
Zeugswetter Andreas SB <ZeugswetterA@wien.spardat.at> writes:
> One thing that comes to my mind is, that you (core members) working full
> time on PG will produce so much work, that we "hobby PgSQL'ers" will
> have a hard job in keeping up to date.

When core was first talking to the Great Bridge folks, one of our big
concerns was that a group of commercial developers contributing to the
project would be able to control the direction of the project by sheer
manpower, ie, core wouldn't have time to review their submissions in
any detail.

That risk is still with us, though it looks a little different now that
we ourselves are the commercial developers in question ;-).

I agree with what a couple of people have already remarked: transparency
of decision making is going to be a critical issue in the future.  Each
of us full-timers will have to be very careful to keep pghackers
informed about what we're doing or thinking of doing.  It won't benefit
the project if a few core developers get to work full-time, but everyone
else drops out because they feel they can't keep up or are not able to
make a meaningful contribution.

            regards, tom lane