Re: Suspected Postgres Datacorruption - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Nicholson, Brad (Toronto, ON, CA)
Subject Re: Suspected Postgres Datacorruption
Date
List pgsql-performance

At a previous engagement, when we moved from 7.4 to 8.1 we saw a huge drop in transaction times.  I don't remember the
numbersbut it was substantial.  We also suffered very badly from checkpoint problems with 7.4, and we were able to tune
themout in 8.1.  When we went from 8.1 to 8.3, there wasn't an improvement in response times but we were able to
deliverthe same level of performance using a fraction of the I/O (due to HOT, autovacuum improvements the checkpoint
smoothingstuff).

We also ran 7.4 for quite a while (on reliable hardware), and never had any corruption problems except for some index
corruptionissues - but that bug was pretty obscure and was fixed in 7.4

Brad.