PITR timeline question - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jim Nasby
Subject PITR timeline question
Date
List pgsql-general
If you're using multiple timelines with PITR, do you have to re-copy
all the data files into the cluster every time you start a new
timeline? Or can you copy the data files out of the backup once, and
then perform multiple recoveries, each to different timelines?

Ultimately, what I'd like to be able to do is periodically bring a
'PITR slave' live. I know I can do this by first copying the base
files and then recovering every time, but it would be nice if I
didn't have to actually copy the base files first.