Re: BUG #15309: ERROR: catalog is missing 1 attribute(s) for relid 760676 when max_parallel_maintenance_workers > 0 - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: BUG #15309: ERROR: catalog is missing 1 attribute(s) for relid 760676 when max_parallel_maintenance_workers > 0
Date
In response to Re: BUG #15309: ERROR: catalog is missing 1 attribute(s) for relid760676 when max_parallel_maintenance_workers > 0  (Peter Geoghegan <pg@bowt.ie>)
List pgsql-bugs
Peter Geoghegan <pg@bowt.ie> writes:
> On Fri, Aug 3, 2018 at 10:11 AM, Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
>> Maybe I'm missing something, but doesn't that error likely point to a bug in the new parallel index creation code,
ratherthan the created indexes?

> I've certainly seen error messages like that with cases of
> catalog corruption. I recall repairing pg_attribute by hand when this
> happened, and then having to reindex the system catalogs.

> I don't really know what's wrong here, but I wouldn't be surprised if
> amcheck detected a problem. Let's see.

I think the OP's time would be more usefully spent on creating a
submittable test case.  We will want that whether or not amcheck
complains, because the mere fact of the complaint is not likely to be
enough to find the problem.  (I do agree that this smells like a problem
in parallel index build.)

            regards, tom lane