Re: var/log/postgresql deletion mystery Ubuntu 12.10 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: var/log/postgresql deletion mystery Ubuntu 12.10
Date
List pgsql-general
Andrew Taylor <andydtaylor@gmail.com> writes:
> I have to create this directory each time I want to start the server.
> Something is deleting it when I close down or start up my laptop.

> Any suggestions as to what could be doing this, or how I could find out? I
> presently have version 9.1 installed.

> All I can add is "it used to work!". Since then I have upgraded to ubuntu
> 12.10 from 12.04 and installed mongodb amongst other things.

Over in Fedora-land they've recently switched to a scheme whereby most
"temporary" directories are deleted at reboot, so that packages need to
arrange for their recreation.  Is it possible something similar is going
on in your newer Ubuntu version?  It would seem to me to be the height
of stupidity to flush log files this way, but it's hard to think of
another reason for the directory to disappear.  If all other stuff under
/var/log is deleted or reset at reboot, then this could be the explanation.

            regards, tom lane